Thursday, September 10, 2015

The treasures we keep . . . why?

Ever ask yourself, “Why did I save this?” Or, “Now why in the world do I still have this?” Or, “Now that’s where I put this. I was looking for it . . . when?” Or this one, “Oh, my gosh! I remember these. I was going to give them to, but when will they be used now?” And there was this teeny tiny birthday card & envelope, 1” x 1” of a duck in a tug boat. Cute!

I asked myself all of these questions when I started to clean up a bookcase in my office that was so over loaded with not only books, but all sorts of nick-knacks, pictures, a small red makeup case that did not have makeup. Instead, I found all the tricks-of-the-trade for a fortune teller. No joke! I was really into Tarot Cards and the like. Not now, but I still have the eerie things. Then I decided to finally organize a beautiful stationary box I use to store greeting cards, some quite old and others with miscellaneous sentiments. There is also a tiny drawer stuffed with envelopes stuffed with papers. This is the stuff I saved . . .why? So here they are:

The why did I save this item: a 9-page article from a Readers Digest dated 11/10 titled, “50 Secrets your pilot won’t tell you.” It is in no way funny. Everyone as some trepidations when they fly and after reading this, I had more. I wondered if the article could be found again, so I Googled the author, Michelle Crouch. http://mlccommunications.com had found the article, albeit updated. So now what do I do with my old copy? Hmmm.

For the now why . . . do I still have this item: another Readers Digest article dated 05/10 titled, “Memory Is Overrated,” by Cathleen Schine. Find her at http://www.cathleenschine.com/bio. She writes about memory lapses. We all have them at various ages, but she said she "lived in this land where everyone looks familiar but no one has a name." I had to agree with her on some areas of forgetfulness, but stopped at her reasons for hers. Interesting read, but I don't think I'll save this. I might stick it in a book I'll donate and let someone else find this little treasure and take away something that they identify with.  

The now that’s where I put this item, is a clipping from our local newspaper titled, “Common Sense.” A lengthy take on an obituary mourning the passing of Common Sense, the sensibleness, reasonableness, rationality, sanity, saneness and sound virtues people have lost either the know-how or will to use. The writing can be found online, but so many other sites are attached to these posits, I did not want to promote their businesses. But if you are interested in reading it, Google it and read away. It is very enlightening. 










Oh my gosh. I remember these are miniature invitations, 2” x 4” with the most enchanting group of tuxedoed gentlemen, top hats and all. I bought these cards thinking that I would give them to my bachelor brother who was planning on a soiree but that never happened. When I was looking at them, I research the info on the back of the invite. It said “Chez Papier” in Boca Raton, FL. Well, it looks like the invites are no longer available because they went out of business. Oh well. But I still have these adorable cards and I actually know when and where they can be used – for my son’s bachelor party, if Charlie finds the girl of his dreams and has his rite of passage. So until then, they will be put back into the drawer in the box and await their debut

As for the teeny tiny card, I researched this one, too. Printed on the back was Hand Made Original Treasure Masters Boston USA MG 46. I Googled this and found likewise cards made in the 1940s on EBay and Etsy. I guess antique cards are popular, so I'll keep mine. I don't think I will let it out of my  possession either. It's just one of those things that is just too cute to give away.  


 

So the moral of my story is this: When you find things you haven’t seen in a long time and it still gives you pleasure, then keep it. If not reusable, then pass it on. But truly, these paper collections are not taking up much room, however, they give much pleasure. Enjoy!

 
 
 

 





 
 














No comments: