Saturday, May 2, 2015

In the Merry Month of May


 
The month of May is one month full of fanciful events. Mother’s Day, Holy Communions and High School Proms. Each one of these celebrations produces items of remembrance that hopefully are kept and cherished over the years.  And these special things should be displayed and protected in your Family Museum.
 

Let’s start out with Holy Communions.
As this is a Catholic ceremony, so for all blog readers who are not of this persuasion or have interest in this ritual, it still may offer some edifying entertainment for you, especially the fashion aspect, because, believe you me, there is much ado about preparing for this Holy Day for both the little girls and guys.


I made my Communion when I was 8 years old. The ceremony was held at the Sacred Heart Church in Chicago. I can’t remember how many of us marched down that long aisle, but I do remember my dress and shoes. They were both borrowed from a cousin who was several sizes larger then me both in dress and shoes. I think the veil was new. I also received a little white purse, my own prayer book and rosary beads.  What I do remember more than anything was the party afterwards. All the Italian relatives came and they all ate, drank and sang to their hearts content. This picture of me proudly standing in the living room is a testimony to keeping the family heirlooms: I still have the piano, the vase sitting on top of the piano, the picture hanging on the wall, and even the chair. Gracious! Time sure flies.

My daughter Tiffeni wore this beautiful Communion dress hand-made by her aunt. She look very angelic and as proud as could be, marching down the aisle of the St. Mary’s Church in Mokena, Illinois. Afterwards, as tradition goes, a fine party was held in her honor with of course all the Italian relatives on my side (the ones that were still living) and a few Lithuanian’s from my father’s side. And family and friends from her father’s Norwegian/Germany side.  Great party!
Next came my son Charlie’s Holy Communion, celebrated at St. Bead’s Church in Williamsburg, VA.  He wore a traditional navy blue blazer and white shirt with a white tie. A tie clip adorn the tie.  His pants were white, but not for long. After the ceremony, he received a candle, prayer book and the little statue decorated his cake.
Again a large party with family and friends. Charlie said he didn’t remember much of that day, however, all the saving bonds he received went to buying his first dog, Sophie. Now that’s special!       
Mother's Day is next!

No comments: