Sunday, February 22, 2015

February Fun


 
This month has been one hectic month due to all the holidays. First one was Ground Hog Day. Then came Lincoln’s Birthday which was also my husband’s birthday. Then came Valentine’s Day with all its hearts and flowers. Then President’s Day a national holiday. After that came Fat Tuesday known as Mardi Gras a holiday filled with parades, colorful beads and yummy goodies to eat. Right on its heels came the Chinese New Year; the Year of the Sheep. WOW! So now that all these holidays and festivities are over for a while, todays’ blogpost will focus on each of the aforementioned holidays.
Ground Hog Day came and went, leaving us with another six weeks of winter, and boy did it snow, especially in Boston. Some people still can’t find their cars. And you can bet your bottom dollar that when Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, he retreated back into his warm burrow to wait winter out. Smart guy! And though I would like to have had and kept something from Ground Hog’s Day in our Family Museum, the only thing we have is the movie. And this is by far one of my husband’s favorite movie. He even watches it when it isn’t Ground Hog Day!

Lincoln’s Birthday is a special day for our family because it is also Keith’s Birthday, and this year was a special event because he can now retire, but of course, he won’t. Of the gifts he received, I doubt any of them will go into the Family Museum, except more shelving which he will make using his new router.
Valentine’s Day is one holiday that is filled with emotion. I feel this day serves up good intentions for all to recognize, be it one special person or many, that they have a special part in your heart and to express those feelings, be it with a box of candy, beautiful flowers, a wonderful dinner, and cards and letters of loving words.  Love is important and should be acknowledged every day, not just Valentine’s Day.   
President’s Day is another day of recognition for our esteemed presidents. When I grew up, we didn’t have this holiday. We had Lincoln and Washington Days of which I can honestly say meant that we got those days off from school. I can’t recall it being celebrated any other way, except we had to read and write about our American President’s as school assignments. But we do have something in our Family Museum that shows our respect for our country’s leaders.
My husband has a Ronald Ragan Doll. I bought it for him on a Presidents Day. The talking action figure has a 4 minute audio chip that speaks 33 different phrases in the President’s own voice, such as this quote. "I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."     


Mardi Gras is a holiday and often serves as a festive occasion. It is also known as Shrove Tuesday, as it is the last day before the long fast for Lent for many Christians. It is also known as Fat Tuesday and features large festivals and celebrations across the United States. The Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans is typical of the masquerades and dancing in the streets. Being raised Catholic, I remember how my family had to fast during Lent. Not wanting to give up anything, I did not enjoy not having any candy. And I wish I knew the holiday was celebrated in New Orleans. So to make up for all that I didn’t know, our family enjoys making King Cake and a casserole of beans, rice, and sausage. YUM!
Chinese New Year! Now this is a lot of fun. I am really surprised how many people I meet are not aware of this form of astrology. They all seem to enjoy reading their daily horoscopes in the newspaper, but that is only one type of many astrology’s. To help understand it, the essence of this divination is how the character of the animal who governs the year in which you were born is the spirit that lives in your soul. Just by observing that animal, I bet you could pick up some of its traits that are similar to yours.
Such as I was born in the Year of the Tiger. I am very protective of my family and can be quite ferocious if I need to be. My husband was born in the Year of the Ox. He is steadfast and strong. My daughter was born in the Year of the Dog. Defender and protector of her home and family. And Charlie, born in the Year of the Rabbit, is lovable and at times playful. When you put us all together, we are a hoot and a holler. With a snort, a roar, a bark and a thump of his foot, we make great music together.
So for this last week this month, I hope things will be a little less rowdy and I can get some work done, like blogging a bit more often.
Till next blog, have fun in February!
 


No comments: