Monday, September 1, 2014

HOLIDAYS: Happy Labor Day!


During this Labor Day weekend, people all around our country enjoyed a diverse selection of activities that celebrated our right to the pursuit of happiness. We all work hard, many more than they should, so on this day, originally organized to celebrate various labor associations' strengths of and contributions to the United States economy, is now largely a day of rest marking the end of the summer season and a last chance to make trips, hold outdoor events and organize parties before school starts again. In some neighborhoods, there were fireworks displays, barbecues and public arts or sports events. The football season starts on or around Labor Day and many teams play their first game of the year during Labor Day weekend.



In my town and surrounding neighborhoods, there is a symphony concert, marathon run, home baseball game, and rock ’n’ roll on the beach. And while families and friends gathered enjoying picnics, I hope that many photographs are taken, new and old stories told, and in keeping with the spirit of this Blog, this event like all those that were and will be in the future, will somehow be saved and preserved for future generations.   

In our family museum, I do not have anything that recalls past Labor Day celebrations. But I do have memories of many family gatherings, be that some may have been on Labor Day. In order for me to retain them, I will look through all the picture albums, and if I should find an image that tells of a family event, I will write on the back of that picture what, when and whose image was captured for posterity. I hope you will do the same.  Happy Labor Day!
 
 

No comments: