Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembering Our Veterans

The Remembrance poppy given out on Veteran's Day has been used since 1920 to commemorate soldiers who have died in war and inspired by the World War I poem, "In Flanders Fields." They were first used by the American Legion to commemorate American soldiers who died in the war (1914-191). They were then adopted by military veteran's groups in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia & New Zealand. Small artificial poppies are often worn on clothing for a few weeks until Armistice Day (Nov. 11). Poppy wreaths are also laid at war memorials.   
 
There are two Veteran's in my family. Their memories are cherished and kept alive in our Family Museum with 
photographs, keepsakes, uniforms, Certificates and artworks. Please take a moment and read that post and perhaps it will inspire you to put some of your family Veteran's things in your Museum. And please, do not forget to take time to honor our Veteran's and purchase a Poppy. I do in honor of my father, who served in WWII, and put the flower into the cover of the album I created for him about his life.     

 
Just as it looks, this album is packed with papers, pictures, postcards, Certificates, even matchbook covers. My Dad kept all of these things in an assortment of boxes, envelopes, desk drawers, coffee cans, tool boxes, in the house, garage and basement. It was only when my dad and mother moved up to Virginia from Florida to be close to my family when all of this was discovered. But it wasn't until sometime later that I gathered it all up and created this album. It has been a work-in-progress since 1998 and continues today. Though my Dad passed away ten years ago, I find this album offers me much comfort when looking through it. Then one day, I decided to write "My Dad * His Story" and the next three posts are from this album. And since much of  his story has to do with his experiences in the Navy, I am offering this during Veteran's Day week. I hope you enjoy it and will share your comments with me. And again, don't forget to thank a Veteran this week. It is because of the men and women who so bravely commit themselves and their lives that American is a free country.
God Bless them one and all!

   



No comments: