Thursday, March 21, 2019

Spring has sprung . . .

What does spring mean to you? What is the first thing that pops into your head when spring is here? Do you spring into action? What action?
Let me count the ways . . .
I bet the first thought is to do some spring cleaning. Let me tell you the ways: dusting, washing, scrubbing, vacuuming, maintenance, and more. Then there is there the inevitable organization, sorting out, clearing out, arrange and rearrange, put back in order . . . are you tired yet? You bet you are!

So take a seat, kick off your shoes, have a cold drink, close your eyes for a few minutes, and then carry on. But before you take what you put in boxes to be hauled away, given away, or trashed, look again. If you are too tired, ask for some help or another opinion. Haste makes waste and you could be getting rid of something that you may later regret. I know this to be true for I have made the mistake of getting rid of things and years later, wondered why.
Just the other day I went through some leftovers fabric I planned on putting in a yard sale and when I took the time to look at them again, I said to myself, nobody is going to pay for these remnants of fabric that I have held on for a long time thinking I was going to make something out of them, but didn’t. Then thought again, I should keep these and revisit my sewing machine and make something useful out of it. It actually felt good to do this. I know I may not get to this project soon, but when I do have the time, I will make something.

The same goes for family memorabilia. All those little things: souvenirs, knick-knacks, tchotchkes, and other things that at one time, for some reason, you bought it. If these things can still produce a good memory, and nice feeling, a dream and a wish that came true, or even if it didn’t, perhaps it still means something to someone else in our family.
So again, think about what is in those boxes. Then think about saving and displaying them. In my book, Create a Family Museum and Save your History, there are many examples how and where to save those little things. Also this blog has many past posts on the same topics. Click on any of them and you just might be inspired to save a little of your history. As this appropriate quote says:

 "You can find a lot of old memories
when you clean out your closet."     Anonymous


My book is Available on Amazon and at www.HeritageBooks.com





 

No comments: