Friday, May 23, 2014

High School Yearbooks


Do you still have your high school yearbooks? Where are they now: in the attic or basement?  When was the last time you looked at them? Are you still in touch with any of those friends you made during your high school years?  

Do you remember when you first got your yearbook how you scanned every page to see how many pictures there were of you? As I look through my book it made be recall how I missed out on a lot of extracurricular activities, even though I remember participating. In fact, the only club I belonged too, my picture was cut out. Go figure. 


Your yearbook provides a plethora of information about the life you led during your school years. The photographs pretty much tell the story, but also the personal autographs everyone hustled to get as soon as the year books were distributed. Remember rushing about between classes, at lunch, before and after school? And why were they so important? I even remember the process being a bit of a competition. Who can get the most autographs. And why was it so important that the corners of the pages be the place to write those words of good luck and best wishes? I guess it really doesn’t matter as long as your friends cared enough to write some last words to you.    

Keith’s Senior Picture Stats: Basketball 1,2,3,4; Cross Country 3; Hall Monitor 4; Homecoming Committee 3; Intramural 1,2,3,4; National Honor Society 3,4; Prom Committee 3
Keith’s Autographs:
Keith, It was fun in College Prep – even though you did cut me down all the time! Good Luck! Love, Char Jo

Keith, You’re the best d _ _ _ (you said dirty) hall monitor around. I’ll never forgive you for snitching on me – just because I threw your book in the garbage can – Well anyway – Luck! Friends Always, Joyce Mitchell ‘68

Dear Keith, To one of the greatest guys I’ve ever known. I wish you luck at school and in your live forever. Just stay as sweet as you are now. Love Always, Deb
To Keith, One of the greatest basketball players I know. Duschean

Lizzie’s Senior Picture Stats: F.H.A. (Future Homemakers of America) 1; F.B.L.A. Future Business Leaders of America) 3,4
Lizzie’s Autographs:     
Liz, It sure was nice having you in shorthand class even if you never had an eraser or any typing paper. Good luck always in everything you do. Be god this summer but still have fun!! Love ya, Mary '68. 
Liz, I would like to think of something different to say but all I can think of is that you’re a wonderful girl with lots of laughs and I hope you never change. There is far to few people like you around. Hope we do get together soon, and I’m sure we will. Good Luck in the future and may you never stop smiling. (Besides you have sexy teeth). Right? Right! Love Jerry
Liz, You certainly are very talented in the dance area and I hope you continue with it after school. I hope the future brings you all the happiness and success in the world. Miss VanDeWalle
Liz, You are my finest dance student and I really enjoyed having you in class. Best wishes in the future especially modeling. I’ll be looking for you in Vogue. Mrs. Robison

Your yearbooks, not just from High School, but grade, junior, college, etc., should go into your family museum, along with your class pictures and class ring, any trophies or awards you received, and any other item that will make it fun to recall those glory days of education. Share it all with family and friends and remember the good times!
 

Note: From the same people who made the class rings pictures in the previous post, offer a fabulous history of the yearbook. Check it out.

http://www.herffjones.com/0204CF00-0B6B-11DF-A8ED001279D65E3F

Same goes from the people at Ancestry.com. Titled, “About U.S. School Yearbooks,” it is an indexed collection of middle, junior, high school and college yearbooks from across the United States. Their take on how a yearbook relates to ancestry (genealogical research) is this: yearbooks are a source of many details, especially when you are searching for names and dates, times and places, what you/they looked like, even world events, fads, and pop culture.  

No comments: