Sunday, April 29, 2018

Where did the time go . . .

April has been a busy month for this blogger. I had every intention to post thoughts, ideas & stories about my Family Museum, but was distracted by many things.  One of which was looking for some photographs of a family friend whose mother and my dearest friend passed away several years ago. He told us that after his mom passed away, he realized he had only a few pictures from his childhood and of his mom. So we told him I had a box full of pictures and will be thrilled to give them to him.

Well . . .  I can’t find them! I searched everywhere, cleaning out closets, going through boxes & files along the way, but didn't that box. This search also made me go through our Memory Boxes. I thought maybe his pictures got mixed in our boxes. After going through all of them and even making new ones, I still didn’t find his pictures. But I haven’t given up. That box is probably right under my nose, but for the life of me, I can’t find it. But I will!

Also during April, I had received by mail (I hadn’t received a formal letter address to me in the mail for years). It was from a local community’s Genealogical Club and they want me to address their members about how they can create their own Family Museum. The gentlemen who wrote the letter saw my book at the local library and invited me to give a lecture. How thrilling. I had not yet given any talks on my book so this is a challenge I am ready to take. But now I have to put together a Power Point Presentation. Wish me luck. I have never put one together before so I am learning as I go. Thankfully, our library offer classes on how to do this, so you bet I will be there. After I have accomplished this fete, I might offer this how-to class online for everyone who wants to create their Family Museum. So stay tune . . .
Then yesterday was my daughter’s birthday
and we celebrated all day long, going out on an excursion to historic Smithfield, home of Virginia peanuts & bacon. We took the ferryboat across the James River.
It's a lovely town filled with Victorian homes, antiques stores & restaurants. We browsed through the stores where I
saw this unique way of displaying antiques.
We had a delicious lunch, then drove around the town, got back on the ferry to home.

We grilled some great German Sausage and served it with Sauerkraut. Yum! She opened her gifts and we
just enjoy the fine weather and dining out on our
veranda, talking and making plans for our next excursion.

So here it is, almost the last day in April and I felt it was a good time for me to write and post a blog and to let you all know that I will do better next month. I have so many stories and pictures to share about why it is so very important to have a Family Museum. Until next month . . .     

No comments: